Documentation suggestions

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Dec 7 18:29:19 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > The builtins section should be moved to the language
> > reference manual.  The material it documents is part
> > of the language definition, not part of an add-on library.
>
> the standard library is not an add-on.  you're confused.

I think the point is that there is the core language, and from a user's
perspective builtins and statements and syntax are all the same thing.
When you import a module, it's more-or-less obvious where you find
information about the module (the module index, of course).  But
"print", "sorted", and "list" are all equally "built in" in the mind of
a new user.  And frankly, though with experience I understand the
categorization, I don't find it particularly compelling.

A new and improved language reference document should deal with all of
these together, I think.

  Ian