Proposal: Inline Import

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Fri Dec 9 17:48:52 EST 2005

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Benji York wrote:
[a quicker, but still manual, way to handle adding new imports]

> That's something the computer should do for me.  It's busywork.
> Eclipse practically eliminates this busywork when I'm writing Java
> code: if I autocomplete a name, it also quietly adds the
> corresponding import statement.  It also generates import statements
> when I copy/paste code. The structure of the Java language makes
> this relatively easy.

Since you mentioned Eclipse, I wonder if PyDev has that feature. You may
have to follow a particular coding style (like using the full module
name every time).  In that case any other sufficiently advanced editor
could do the same.

[snip]
> Thus a prerequisite for using inline import is broad approval.

OK, good.  You won't have to worry about that. :)
--
Benji