Robotics and parallel ports

Gregory Piñero gregpinero at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:47:50 EST 2005

Hi Isaac,

I've been meaning to get into robot building too.  After much
consideration I decided to go the Lego Mindstorms route.  I actually
figured it was a Pythonic way to go.  "Pythonic" meaning finding
something that lets me do I want easily with minimal knowledge of the
system required.  (I'm pretty sure it won't actually run Python)

I figure eventually I'll graduate to working on raw electronics like
you, but working with Mindstorms will let me figure out what I'm
interested in and determine what limitations it has.

I'll let you know how my approach goes.  I'm figuring I'll get the
Mindstorms for Christmas .. otherwise I'll buy one soon after.

Do drop me an email sometime.  I'm very interested to see how you
progress in your approach.

-Greg

On 12/15/05, Isaac T Alston <sleepingeliminator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heiko Wundram wrote:
> > Maybe it's what you're looking for.
>
> Thanks for that. I've never actually built a robot or anything like that
> before, so I'm welcome to any advice I can get! I've heard programming via
> USB is hard, so that's why I'm using the parallel port (serial ports are
> said to be slow when sending a lot of data (I think)). I think I'll start
> off with something very simple, for example controlling a motor and then
> move up to more advance models.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
>
> --