Still Loving Python

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Dec 14 14:54:18 EST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:07:04 -0500, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

>bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:
>> A single click compiles, links and runs the resulting independent windows .exe in a fraction of a second
>> for the above, and I can see the hint, kill the .exe, and go on where I was.
>
>Click? Yuck. If I wanted it, I've had environments where a single
>keystroke (much better) compiled, linked and ran the resulting
>app. Not in a fraction of a second, but that's sort of irrelevant to
>the GUI/non-GUI question.
You don't have to click. A single keystroke (F9) does it too ;-)
Just that if you are testing for a hint appearing when you mouse over a button,
it's handier to move the cursor a coule of inches and click a Delphi IDE button
with the same hand than it is to go for F9. But either way works.
An integrated debugger that lets you step through your app and watch the visuals
happen as you step by various chunks or run to breakpoints etc is useful sometimes too.

You can also do totally command-line oriented, non-GUI stuff much as you'd do C, except
in object pascal. A minimal app:

[11:51] E:\UTIL\log>type hw.dpr
program Hw;
{$Apptype Console}
begin
  Writeln('Hello World');
end.

[11:51] E:\UTIL\log>dcc32 hw.dpr
Delphi for Win32  Version 10.0  Copyright (c) 1983,97 Borland International
hw.dpr(6)
7 lines, 0.02 seconds, 10184 bytes code, 1377 bytes data.

[11:51] E:\UTIL\log>dir hw.*
 Volume in drive E is Non-MS
 Volume Serial Number is 3C7A-BC1A

 Directory of E:\UTIL\log

05-12-14  11:47                     73 hw.dpr
05-12-14  11:51                 15,360 hw.exe

Regards,
Bengt Richter