ElementTree - Why not part of the core?

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 18:19:00 EST 2005

Steven Bethard wrote:
--snip--
> I think some people were hoping that instead of adding these things to
> the standard library, we would come up with a better package manager
> that would make adding these things to your local library much simpler.
>
> STeVe
>
> [1]http://www.python.org/dev/summary/2005-06-01_2005-06-15.html#reorganising-the-standard-library-again

A better package manager would be great but does not
replace having things in the core.  Distributed code that
relies on external packages puts a significantly greater
burden on the user of the code.  I suppose there are
ways to get around it but often it means at a minimum
the user will need to read the install instructions (which
seems to be asking a lot for some people.)  And at some
companies, one has to jump though beauracratic hoops
for each external package installed.  And I personally
stear away from packages that have a long list of
prerequisites.

With things I've written that I thought might be used
by others, I've gone to some lengths to use only modules
in the standard library.