threading IOError

Gabriel Genellina gagenellina at softlab.com.ar
Thu Dec 15 05:03:34 EST 2005

Andrew MacIntyre ha escrito:

> Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> >   File "C:\Apps\Python\Lib\threading.py", line 218, in wait
> >     remaining = endtime - _time()
> > IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> >
> > The error appears to be inside the time module, and I can't explain the
> > IOError there.
> >
> > Maybe this crash is related too: sometimes, the full program crashes
> > with an Invalid Page Fault with the following info:
> Quite some time ago I saw the same sort of issue - inexplicable
> exceptions from apparently benign code.
>
> Tim Peters prognosticated that there was a bug in an extension module,
> and indeed that proved to be the case (a 3rd party extension, which
> fortunately I had source for and was able to build).
>
> I doubt that any of Python's standard extension modules will be involved
> (as they are generally mature and widely used and tested) but you should
> look at the source for any others looking for unhandled error returns.
> Typically, errno is set but the failure return from the routine setting
> errno is ignored or not properly handled.
>
> What then happens is the next time an exception gets propagated through
> Python's internals, the errno value gets picked up and is used to
> identify the exception (incorrectly).
>
> The invalid page fault may well be because a garbage pointer is handed
> to a routine, possibly as a consequence of the mishandled error return.

Oh, thanks, at least this gives me a starting point to investigate. But
I can´t discard the standard modules; this is an (almost) clean python
install. The download rate has became extremely low and maybe all of
this is related to the recent upgrade to Python 2.4.2... (Maybe
Win98+many threads+sockets is not a well tested combination)

Thanks,
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL