html resize pics

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Dec 27 21:01:37 EST 2005

rbt wrote:
> What's a good way to resize pictures so that they work well on html
> pages? I have large jpg files. I want the original images to remain as
> they are, just resize the displayed image in the browser.

These two things are mutually exclusive by most people's definition of
"work well".  You can't push the resizing down to the browser *and*
"work well" when working well includes avoiding downloading massive JPGs
when only small images are to be shown.

Can you clarify what you really want?  "resize ... image in the browser"
implies merely using "width" and "height" attributes to override the
size of the image *after* the whole thing has been downloaded, in which
case this would be solved with mere attributes on the IMG element.

-Peter