Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 20 10:33:18 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
>
>>Paul Rubin wrote:
>>
>>>It's been a long-time source of puzzlement to me why so many web sites
>>>are so slow, and RDBMS overhead is an obvious candidate.  So the rant
>>>seems appropriate even in the case of web apps where clients can cause
>>>db updates.
>>
>>Indeed. Large portions of a lot of Web sites could actually be deployed
>>statically, rather than hitting a database several times a page to
>>retrieve stuff which changes once in a blue moon. Moreover, static page
>>hosting is generally a lot cheaper than dynamic program hosting.
>

> And with the proper technology, you can get the best of both
> worlds. You build the site as dynamically genrated, then "compile" it
> to get the static pages you actually serve. That way you get all the
> benefits you listed of serving static pages, plus the ability to use a
> database and all it's associated tools for maintaining your data (if
> you consider that an advantage, anyway).

That's an approach I'm currently experimenting with - the content of
www.holdenweb.org is mostly static but generated from a database, and
the current tasks include completing a wxPython database maintenance
GUI, incorporating various ways to generate scripted content that
matches the look and feel of the rest of the site and adding more and
more ways to generate the interior content.

It's obvious by comparison with www.holdenweb.com that there's a good
deal of design commonality.

I'll be looking for beta testers eventually ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119