Xah's Edu Corner: Responsible Software Licensing

Ulrich Hobelmann u.hobelmann at web.de
Sun Dec 18 06:03:01 EST 2005

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
> <cut>
> Nice rant, btw in most EU countries the software creator can not
> withdraw the responsibility of his/her/it creation, regardless of what
> the disclaimer says. The law is the leading authority and not some
> Disclaimer/EULA, that's why most US EULA's are unauthoritative in the EU.

Actually most EULAs are unauthoritative in both the USA and (parts of)
the EU, because the customer usually doesn't know or sign the EULA
before he buys the software.  At least that's what I heard.

The piece that a European programmer can never withdraw responsibility
could be a big problem to open-source software, though.  I'm not sure
I'd want to freely publish anything that could result in liability for me.

--
If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.
	Louis Armstrong