Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 19 17:43:34 EST 2005

In article <7xbqzhr7qj.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>aleax at mail.comcast.net (Alex Martelli) writes:
>> To put it another way: one reason I love Python is that I strongly
>> subscribe to the idea that there should preferably be only one obvious
>> way to do something.  Unfortunately, this principle is very badly broken
>> by the multiplicity of Python web frameworks.
>
>This also has to be a big part of why PHP is kicking the pants off of
>Python for popularity in web development.

I agree. It's sad to see such a terrible language as PHP so popular, and
such a complicated mess in python, my language of choice.

I love python and am lucky enough to be able to do almost all my coding
in it. Yet even I use PHP to serve a database. I loathe PHP, but:
- it came preinstalled on my system (MacOS X 10.3.x).
- I found a nice simple intro to it (a quickstart guide, which taught me
all I needed to know for my simple needs).
- I started out by looking at the choices in python. Of course. I read
the shootout. I asked for help. But the results were utterly
overwhelming.

I wanted (and I am guessing this isn't too far off for most users -- at
least most non-web-gurus) a framework that was:
- Well designed, robust, "finished" (i.e. not alpha).
- Easy to use, especially for simple, basic tasks. (And not a toy, of
course -- powerful enough to handle reasonable traffic and tasks.)
- Easy to install.
- Well documented, with a good introduction or tutorial.
- Likely to be around for awhile. The plethora of options on Python do
NOT inspire confidence in that area.

Some choice is good -- especially if the choices solve obviously
different problems. But too much choice is paralyzing and fragments the
community.

Anyway, thanks for holding this discussion. Django and TurboGears were
both new to me. I hope something finally gets popular enough to be worth
betting on.

-- Russell