problem adding list values

David M. Synck dmsynck at verizon.net
Thu Dec 22 14:43:15 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Python and trying to figure out a syntax error
concerning lists and iteration through the same. What I am trying to do is
sum a list of float values and store the sum in a variable for use later.

The relevant code looks like this -

def getCredits():

    """ This function asks the user to input any credits not shown on their bank statement

    It returns the sum(converted to float) of the entered credits """

    global credits
    credlist = []
    credits = 0.0
    temp = 0.0
    print "Now you need to enter any credits not shown on your bank statement \n"
    print "Please enter a zero (0) once all credits have been entered \n"
    raw_input("Hit 'Enter' to continue \n")
    temp = float(raw_input("Please enter the first credit \n"))

    while temp != 0:
        credlist.append(temp)
        temp = float(raw_input("Please enter the next credit \n"))

    i = 0
    for i in credlist:
        credits += credlist[i]
        i = i + 1

    return credits

And the syntax error I get is this -

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./BankReconciler_Rev1.py", line 129, in ?
    main()
  File "./BankReconciler_Rev1.py", line 116, in main
    getCredits()
  File "./BankReconciler_Rev1.py", line 60, in getCredits
    credits += credlist[i]
TypeError: list indices must be integers

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate
it.

Thanks in advance