Tabs bad (Was: ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!)

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Mon Dec 5 03:18:53 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano enlightened us with:
> It seems to me that "one tab per indent level" is far more logical
> than "some arbitrary number, N, of spaces, often a multiple of
> eight, or four, or two, per indent level, and hope that the number
> of spaces is a multiple of that arbitrary N". But maybe that's just
> me.

It's me too. One tab per indent makes perfect sense.

> went back to tabs, got frustrated with people complaining that
> indentation was being mangled by various webmail and News clients

This is about the only place where I use four spaces (typed as one
tab, expanded by Vim): email and Usenet. The reason? I don't want my
post to become too wide. If my stuff is read by someone with tab sizes
larger than four, it might become too wide, so to prevent that I use
spaces. For all other things (like real source code instead of a
pasted snippet) I use tabs.

> I'm almost fired up enough about this to start the Society For The
> Treatment Of Tabs As First Class Characters. *wink*

LOL count me in ;-)

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa