Wingide is a beautiful application

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Sun Dec 18 16:30:21 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi enlightened us with:
> With [Strg]-[End] I went to the end of the file where I wanted to
> continue editing, but the syntax highlighting told me there is no
> code but only a comment. I checked it and found out, that Vim is
> apparently not able to do proper highlighting when jumping to the
> end of the file not going through other parts of the code before.

Vim does check parts of the buffer it hasn't displayed, but it only
goes back so much. Or would you rather have Vim check the entire
buffer every time you change it?

> Going back to the point where triple quotes comment begun (quite in
> the middle of the file) and back to the end did the trick to get
> proper highlighting again.

Apparently you quoted so much that Vim didn't go all the way back to
check.

> Apparently Vim syntax highlighting analyses only the code it has
> already 'seen' within the editing window. This is not what I expect
> from a mature editor.

Well, the problem is in your head, not with the editor. It uses sane
defaults to keep things fast. If you quote such a large amount of
text, wouldn't it be better to just store it in a text file? You could
also use the fact that Python joins consecutive string constants and
quote each paragraph:

    """Some text.
    blablabla
    """
    """
    Some more text blabla
    """

It'll result in some more quotes, but when running your program it's
the same, and VIM will be able to highlight it just fine.

> I have stopped here, because I found this problem after three
> seconds of using it, so imagine how much other problems will become
> apparent after using it three hours, right?

Wrong. I have used Vim for years, and only found a few minor issues,
nothing more.

> Vim similar as Wing has no [View] menu entry one can use for
> changing the text appearance in any reasonable Windows program, so
> the ancient Unix/Linux is still there with the system font as
> default setting for displaying text... It looks as I were in a DOS
> box, not in a text editor on Windows.

I can do "Edit -> Select font" just fine...

> able to edit files of any size results in an Error.

Never had problems with that.

> I was not able to find how to do rectangular select/paste

Control+V to do block selects. After that, just paste.

> and there was no code folding for Python script code available.

Yes there is - I'm using it.

> It was just waste of my time to try it out again.

This is true for most things in life: If you go in with a negative
attitude and draw the wrong conclusions, you will only find what you
expected to find.

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa