Documentation suggestions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Dec 7 18:27:09 EST 2005

rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:

> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > > The builtins section should be moved to the language
> > > reference manual.  The material it documents is part
> > > of the language definition, not part of an add-on library.
> >
> > the standard library is not an add-on.  you're confused.
>
> Your probably talking about internal implementation.
> I'm talking about user's perception.  A "python" that
> had a different set of builtins would not be python.
> That makes it more useful to view it as part of the
> language, not a library even if it happens to be
> implemented that way.

no, I'm talking about how things are used, not how things
happen to look inside your head.

you seem to think that everything that lives in the __builtin__
module are fundamental parts of the language, but that any-
thing that can be explicitly imported into a user module is an
"add-on".

that's not how things work.  if you want to move "fundamental
parts" to a different document, you have to move a lot more
than just the functions in the __builtin__ module.

</F>