Is unicode_escape broken?

jepler at unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Dec 13 18:55:21 EST 2005

I also believe this is a bug.

Here's an even shorter demonstration of the behavior:
>>> u"\\".encode("unicode_escape").decode("unicode_escape")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
UnicodeDecodeError: 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode byte 0x5c in
position 0: \ at end of string

To report a bug, follow the directions at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.python.org/2.4.2/bugs.html

    To report a bug not listed above, always check the SourceForge Bug
    Tracker[1] to see if they've already been reported. Use the bug tracker to
    report new bugs. If you have a patch, please use the SourceForge Patch
    Manager[2]. Please mention that you are reporting a bug in 2.4.2, and note
    that you must have a SourceForge account and be logged in to submit a
    bug report or patch (we require this in case we need more information
    from you).

    [1] http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=5470
    [2] http://sourceforge.net/patch/?group_id=5470

Jeff