Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 06:30:15 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> [Not sure if this attribution is correct.]
> > Alex Martelli wrote:
> > Because of course if other languages have 1 or two frameworks, python
> > needs a dozen.
>
> People keep talking about Python's wealth of web frameworks as if it
> were a bad thing. I just don't see it. Just like I like to have more
> than 1 or 2 languages available for programming, I like to have more
> than 1 or 2 web frameworks available for building web sites. That I
> can get the flexibility I want in this area *without* having to
> abandon Python is a plus for Python.

Flexibility is good, but personally I think the problem is that instead
of useful variety, we have redundant overlap. How many different
templating systems, sql<-->object mappings, and URL dispatch schemes do
we need? And what exactly is the difference between them all, except
for slightly different syntax?

One major benefit of reducing the number of such frameworks is that a
larger community would form around each product, meaning better
documentation and examples. Also, it would be easier to know which one
to recommend for a given task, when there are fewer available and they
are more distinct. In particular, it would be helpful to have something
simple in the standard library, as currently there's a large barrier to
entry for the Python newbie who wants to get into web programming,
compared to ASP or PHP, or even Java servlets.

--
Ben Sizer