text manipulation

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Fri Dec 16 06:19:05 EST 2005

Johhny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to write a script in python (to replace a perl script with
> limited functionality). Now I have some issues. Currently I am using
> the perl to load the file then regex parse certain lines to remove
> characters (uncomment lines and change variables). I would like to take
> that into the python script. I have had a look at the module "string"
> and I dont think its what Im looking for.
>
> Here is an example of some text I would like to manipulate
>
> #comment here
> #user_defined_variable = no
> #
>
> I would like to make that
>
> #comment here
> user_defined_variable = yes
> #
>
> With perl/sed Its very easy, However Im having issues to do it in
> python. Any advice would be great.
>
> Regards,
>
> Johhny.

forget regular expressions for this job... strings have methods in
python so for example:

for line in file:
     if line.startswith("#user_defined_variable = no"):
         line.replace("#user_defined_variable = no",
             "user_defined_variable = yes")

... continue processing file / writing out stuff as you go

Cheers
Martin