Displaying error message in a try except?

Tim Williams (gmail) tdwdotnet at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 18:28:31 EST 2005

On 11/12/05, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

> wawork at hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Fairly new to python.  In a try except how do you display the true
> > (raw) error message so it can be displayed back to the user?
>
> assuming that "true" means "the message you would get if you hadn't
> used a try/except", the traceback module is what you want:
>
>     import traceback
>
>     try:
>         raise SyntaxError("example")
>     except:
>         traceback.print_exc()
>
> prints
>
>     Traceback (innermost last):
>       File "module.py", line 4, in ?
>     SyntaxError: example
>
> more here:
>
>     http://effbot.org/librarybook/traceback.htm
>
> you can also inspect the exception status via the sys.exc_info() call.
> e.g.
>
>     import sys
>
>     try:
>         1/0
>     except:
>         print "%s: %s" % sys.exc_info()[:2]
>
> prints
>
>     exceptions.ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

Or you can combine both,  I find these 3 lines after the except most helpful
during developement stages and liberally splatter them around prototype code

>>> import sys, traceback
>>> try:
... except:
...     print sys.exc_info()[0]
...     print sys.exc_info()[1]
...     print "LINE=",traceback.tb_lineno(sys.exc_info()[2])
exceptions.ZeroDivisionError
integer division or modulo by zero
LINE= 2

HTH :)