Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Tue Dec 20 20:16:01 EST 2005

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
> I don't think Pierre (Karrigell's creator) is awared of licenses and
> legal issues.
> Perhaps you can tell us what's the problem with GPL and, if possible,
> propose an alternative...

OK I'll try. First let me say I have no interest in a licensing flame war, there are valid
reasons why an author might prefer one license over another and certainly there are good
reasons to choose GPL. However the work I do is commercial and proprietary and I doubt I
could get approval to release it under GPL. So I am restricted to projects with more
liberal licenses such as MIT, BSD and Apache licenses. These allow closed-source
distribution of products based on them.

Certainly it is within an author's rights to prohibit use of his code in closed source
products, as the author of Karrigell has done by choosing GPL and I respect this decision.
Unfortunately this makes it impossible for me to consider using Karrigell in my work. I
recently needed a stand-alone web server for a small in-house project that might possibly
be distributed to business partners or become a product some day. I chose CherryPy in part
because its license allows this. I would have considered Karrigell if it had a different
license.

Kent