XML and namespaces

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Dec 7 12:53:13 EST 2005

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> Well, if your purpose is to make a point about minidom and DOM standards
> compliance in relation to serialisation of namespaces, then what you're
> doing wrong is to use a library that bears no relationship to the DOM to
> make your point.

Alright. I respectfully withdraw libxml2/libxml2dom as an example of a
DOM Level 2 compatible implementation. Since I only profess to support
"a PyXML-style DOM" in libxml2dom, the course I take in any amendments
to that package will follow whatever Uche decides to do with 4DOM and
PyXML. ;-) Whatever happens, I'll attempt to make it compatible with
qtxmldom in both its flavours (qtxml and KHTML).

As for the various issues with namespaces and the DOM, with memories of
slapping empty xmlns attributes strategically-but-desperately in XSL
processing pipelines to avoid invisible-but-still-present default
namespaces now thankfully receding into the incoherent past, the whole
business merely reinforces my impression of the various standards
committees as a group of corporate delegates meeting regularly to hold
a "measuring competition" amongst themselves.

Paul