Global Variables in OOP and Python

newbie solaris_1234 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 18:03:54 EST 2005

Hello,

I have questions about global variables in OOP (in general) and Python
(in specific).  I understand (I think) that global variables are
generally not a good idea. However, if there are variables that need to
be accessed by a number of classes that exists in separate namespaces
(files), what would be the best way to do this?

So far, I have approached the problem by making the variables
attributes of one class and passing instances of the class as variables
to the other class' methods.

The other way I thought of is to create a separate class that consists
of the variables and to use the

from <file name> import *

in all of the files (namespaces) where it is needed.

Is there a better way?

Are the two ideas presented above acceptable? If so, is one better than
the other from an OOP POV?