python coding contest

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 17:02:35 EST 2005

Christian Tismer wrote:
> André wrote:
> > For the few that might be interested, I will be posting the details of
> > a 117 character long solution to the challenge on my blog
> > http://aroberge.blogspot.com/.

> It seems to be very hard to improve. No idea if this is
> possible: One might try to re-order the character string
> a bit to change moduli, trying to get one more number in
>
> (3,14,10)
>
> to be one-digit. Haven't tried, yet, and chances are small.
>
> congrats again and a happy new year - chris

With the string of " _|" I used, starting sub-indices for each
3-character substrings are such that one need modulo 10 (or greater)
for at least two of the three indices.  I have looked at a few other
combinations and, after thinking about it, have convinced myself that
it is unfortunately not possible to do.  I would love to be proven
wrong!  Good idea though!

Happy New Year to you all!