python coding contest

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 21:54:14 EST 2005

Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:

> Simon Hengel wrote:
> >> I would suggest that all whitespace (except within string literals)
> >> should be ignored, as well.
>
> > Good point, but i assume that is not possible with regular expressions.
>
> No, but a trivial task using the compiler.

Actually, the tokenize module of the standard library is plenty for this
(and any other merely lexical-level task).

> they should have taken this as a second challenge :-)   -- chris

I guess there can be more challenges, particularly because I don't think
having the prize is really that important -- one does it for fun and
kudos (a nicely designed, color-printed certificate of victory, suitable
for framing and displaying prominently, would be better, if there are
funds to make it, than a keyboard which one might not use...;-).

Alex