Guido at Google

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 03:28:37 EST 2005

<bonono at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I wonder how high a particular programming language is in the prioirty
> > > of either organisations of such size ?
> > Interesting question.  I would expect, without any inside knowledge,
> > "single-programming-language" cultures [net of the very early times when
> > Basic was MS's only product, of course;-)]...).
> >
> The question was specifically to the previous question it is responsed
> to and if its context or meaning have been read otherwise(intended or
> not intended), there isn't much I can do.

The funny idea that Google would hire Guido to "counter" Microsoft's
hiring of Jim Hugunin 1+ year ago didn't particularly need debunking,
but you chose to comment on it with a "question" which I thought was
worth answering, since you chose to phrase it so very generally, and
since it appeared to be intended as a "rhetorical question" hinting at
what I consider a wrong idea in the general case.  Far from "there not
being much you can do", if you're interested in avoiding possible
misunderstandings you can easily choose to express yourself more
precisely and specifically, rather than vaguely and generically...

Alex