Detecting problems in a forked process

James Colannino james at colannino.org
Thu Dec 29 16:59:58 EST 2005

Hey everyone.  I'm writing a small application in Python that uses
os.fork() to create a separate process in which another application is
run in the background.  The problem is that I need to know whether or
not that separate application managed to start and return from within
the parent appropriately.  Here's, roughly, a pseudo example of what I
want to do (I know the code itself is not correct):

def function():

    pid = os.fork()

    if pid:
         do parent stuff
    else:
         try:
              execute the application
         exeption:
              somehow return -1 from within the parent process

#try to start another application in the background from within a forked
process
if (function() == -1):
    fail

Is there a way that I can do this?  I thought, only for a *VERY* brief
second, about cheating my way around this with a global variable, but
then I realized that this wouldn't work due to the fact that I will have
multiple forks doing the same thing at the same time.  Thanks in advance :)

James

--
My blog: http://www.crazydrclaw.com/
My homepage: http://james.colannino.org/

"If Carpenters made houses the way programmers design programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization." --Computer Proverb