Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:01:32 EST 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> This would have the unfortunate side effect of only allowing changes to
> Python that allowed users to do things which are currently impossible.
>
> Since Python is Turing-complete, this would effectively inhibit all
> further changes to the language.
I don't quote understand the above.

> Would you, say, remove "for" loops because they could be written as
> "while" loops. Don't forget the word "obvious" that appears in that
> catchphrase ...

If every "for" usage can be done with "while" and that "while" is the
preferred way, why not ? As I said, the problem is that "obvious"
really is subjective in many case. And if it really is obvious, it
really is obvious and I doubt there would be that much disagreement. I
am a left handed and any time I use something that is designed to be
right-handed, I have the same feeling too, luckily there isn't that
much thing in real life.