Still Loving Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Dec 14 03:53:26 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:

>>>That is your opinion, and I'm sure it's true for you. It isn't true
>>>for me.
>>
>>Why, then, do you disparage those who like to do things differently?
>>Why label visual tools as "evil"?
>

> I didn't label them as "evil" - I agreed with someone who did that
> :-).
>

>>Why this need to have everyone do things the way you do?
>

> Whatever makes you think I have this need? I said I hated them. I'm
> pretty sure I didn't say everyone should have to use them.

Before we descend to the level of name calling :-), can I interject
another, possibly heretical, point in favour of GUI builders that you
might *both* be able to disagree with?

It isn't often done, but I quite like the idea of giving users the GUI
builder so that they can specify their preferred task interface, at
least to a first approximation.

With a good tool it's relatively easy to integrate application code
after GUI clean-up. Users sometimes find this a more intuitive way of
specifying what they want (and God knows, most users *need* better ways
of specifying what they want ...)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119