Do you recommend a good artificial intelligence book?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Dec 20 10:34:59 EST 2005

On 20 Dec 2005 04:27:29 -0800, Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>"Tolga" <tolgacavdar at gmail.com> writes:
>> Is there anybody here interested in artificial intelligence (AI)? Yes,
>> perhaps this thread would be more suitable for an AI usenet group and I
>> have also posted my question there, but I want to know Python
>> community's opinion. Could you recommend me please a good AI book to
>> start with? I don't want to see Lisp code, if possible ;-D
>
>The classic is Winston and Horn's, which uses Lisp.  You can think of
>it as Python with more parentheses if you want.  There's an old book
>by Nilsson which is more theoretical.

Have a look at:

    http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/

It's really nicely done.

Note links on above page:

"""
Online Code Repository

    * Pseudo-code from the book in pdf or ps.
    * Online code in Lisp, Python, Java etc.
    * Data for the online code
    * Online demos (Java applets and Javascript)
"""

from the python link (http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/python/readme.html)

"""
AIMA Python Code
This file gives an overview of the Python code for the
algorithms in the textbook AI: A Modern Approach. The code
is Copyright (c) 2002 by Peter Norvig and is offered free
of charge for your use. As you may know, the textbook presents
algorithms in pseudo-code format; as a supplement we provide
this Python code as well as Lisp code. The intent is to implement
all the algorithms in both languages, so that you can choose whichever
language you prefer. As yet neither implementation is complete,
but the Lisp version is closer.
"""

BTW, Peter Norvig is co-author ;-)

Regards,