Wingide is a beautiful application

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 18:09:53 EST 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:
> OK, I can tell that this is Python code, not VI script stuff.  I'll need
> to see how your vimrc sets this up.

vim has a Python interpreter embedded in it (assuming it's a reasonably
complete build--it's possible to leave the interpreter, or even parts
of the vim scripting stuff, out).  I just put .py files in my .vim
directory, import them, and then use ":py myfile.doStuff()" or map keys
to such commands.

The "vim" Python module (included in vim, just "import vim" from your
Python scripts) lets you run vim commands, access
windows/buffers/variables/etc.

Extending vim in Python is far nicer than using vim script, I basically
do all the work in Python and then just :map those functions to
whatever keys I want to use.