Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Wed Dec 21 22:04:28 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
>     [Kent Johnson]
>     Where would you draw the line? Suppose I want to use a GPLed library
>     in my Python code, does that mean I have to distribute my code under
>     the GPL if I distribute them together?
>
> Yes, that's the point of using the GPL on a library instead of the
> LGPL.  So the Emacs example, if it doesn't rely on an exception, must
> rely on the notion that Emacs isn't a library.

It's not clear to me how my use of CherryPy as a web app framework is different, from the
point of view of the GPL, from how I might use something that we both would call a
library. From the client code it is pretty similar. In both cases I might import modules,
instantiate and subclass classes and call functions and methods from the library. If there
is a difference it seems the GPL is relying on pretty subtle distinctions to determine
whether my code is a "work based on the Program."

Kent