Documentation suggestions

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Dec 6 16:08:11 EST 2005

    Ian> I think it would be very useful if there was reference (not just
    Ian> tutorial) documentation for all the syntax, special semantics like
    Ian> magic methods, and all the functions and objects in builtins.

It's pretty common to have a User's Guide as well as a Reference Manual for
many applications.  Python has always lacked a User's Guide.

I find it hard to imagine any one person having the time to simply sit down
and bat out such a tome though.  I'm partial to using wikis as collaborative
environments.  (They more readily admit a group of people to the process
without a formal registration process as would doing the whole thing via
Python's svn repository.)  Creating a UsersGuide section of the Python wiki
with reST as the markup might be a good place to work on such a beast with
the goal that it would be a stepping stone to a more standalone document.

Skip