python coding contest

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Dec 26 16:43:46 EST 2005

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> taroso at gmail.com wrote:
>> Currently I'm on 149 characters in <urgh> one line - 128 without
>> spaces/newlines.  (it'd be three characters shorter if it didn't have
>> to end with a "\n")
>

> It'll be interesting to see what the short 1-line answers look like. I
> have a hard time seeing how that's done. It'll especially be interesting
> to see  if we're all using similar tricks or if the multiline attemps
> take a distinctly different tack than the single line attempts.
>
> Currently, I'm down to 137 characters now in 6 lines. There's very
> little left to trim at this point, so I don't know that I'll be able to
> knock it down any further using my current approach. And since I don't
> have any other approaches in the wings, I may be about washed up.

I think my main interest will be to see what different algorithms are
successful. I suspect I may have chosen the wrong approach to start with
since I stuck at 150 characters (1 line, no extraneous whitespace), but
then I started again with a different algorithm and I'm down to one line of
137 characters but nowhere obvious to go from there...