How to get the local mac address?

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 02:15:54 EST 2005

Frank Millman wrote:
> bonono at gmail.com wrote:
> > Sorry that I can't help you in any way but have a question myself.  Is
> > there an OS independent way to get this thing(regardless of how to
> > format it) in Python ? I know this may not matter if all you want is
> > Windows but there is just another thread talking about one should write
> > programs that is OS independent.
> >
> > Is this a problem of the network library of python ?
>
> This is not a generic solution, but it works for me on Linux and
> Windows
>
> def getMacAddress():
>     if sys.platform == 'win32':
>         for line in os.popen("ipconfig /all"):
>             if line.lstrip().startswith('Physical Address'):
>                 mac = line.split(':')[1].strip().replace('-',':')
>                 break
>     else:
>         for line in os.popen("/sbin/ifconfig"):
>             if line.find('Ether') > -1:
>                 mac = line.split()[4]
>                 break
>     return mac

Thanks, but how can I associate the result to the socket, assuming that
is the reason for wanting to get at the MAC ?

I see that some *nix implementation use fcntl/ioctl to read this info
out of the file handle of a socket but these modules don't exist on
Windows(may be some other platform as well).