Calculating Elapsed Time

Christopher Subich csubich.spam.block at spam.subich.block.com
Wed Dec 7 13:01:50 EST 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> A few things.
>
> 1. "Precision" is probably the wrong word there.  "Resolution" seems
> more correct.
>
> 2. If your system returns figures after the decimal point, it probably
> has better resolution than one second (go figure).  Depending on what
> system it is, your best bet to determine why is to check the
> documentation for your system (also go figure), since the details are
> not really handled by Python.  Going by memory, Linux will generally be
> 1ms resolution (I might be off by 10 there...), while Windows XP has
> about 64 ticks per second, so .015625 resolution...

One caevat: on Windows systems, time.clock() is actually the
high-precision clock (and on *nix, it's an entirely different
performance counter).  Its semantics for time differential, IIRC, are
exactly the same, so if that's all you're using it for it might be worth
wrapping time.time / time.clock as a module-local timer function
depending on sys.platform.