Robotics and parallel ports

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Dec 15 22:35:55 EST 2005

Isaac T Alston wrote:
> I've never actually built a robot or anything like that
> before, so I'm welcome to any advice I can get! I've heard programming via
> USB is hard, so that's why I'm using the parallel port (serial ports are
> said to be slow when sending a lot of data (I think)).

How much data do you plan to send?  We build industrial control systems
and robotics for laboratories and use serial ports most of the time
without much concern for performance.  Generally speaking you shouldn't
have to send lots of data, and only rare have to receive lots (e.g. if
you have a camera on-board).

The only time I'd consider a parallel port is in the very early stages
if I had no intelligence in the robot, and simply needed a few discrete
output signals to turn motors on and off.  In a prototype, for example.
  For anything real I would likely have on-board intelligence (embedded
Linux system maybe, or a microcontroller board) and in that case a
serial port is going to be much easier to work with than a parallel port.

-Peter