ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

JohnBMudd at gmail.com JohnBMudd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 11:11:36 EST 2005

>  even a single character (like an opening or closing bracket or a semicolon) is an indication that the design can be improved.

Close, there are two principles for good design: Afford proper use and
Don't afford improper use.  I could argue that not having to type extra
characters falls into the first category and so is part of why Python
is a better design.  Not having to type extra characters makes it
easier (affords me) to enter source code in the first place and there's
less to maintain in the long run.  That's probably why nobody in the
thread, including myself, has advocated "*require* the brackets".

But, like a lot of "solutions", in solving one problem Python has
created another one.  Many people, for whatever reasons, feel that the
solution (scope by indent) prevents them from using the tool.  Hence
Python has not really made it easier to type and maintain source code
for the general audience, it's has only polarized the audience.  There
are many people who would say it definitely does NOT afford proper use.

Python is the superior design, today.  But, like Betamax tape format,
Python isn't mainstream yet.  And, sadly, maybe it never will be.  I
want that changed.  I want Python to take over the world so I don't
have to beg my next boss to let me use it.  And if adding an optional
"dumbed-down" format will help then that might be an improvement in the
big picture.

John