ANNOUNCE; Try python beta

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Dec 20 10:16:09 EST 2005

Richie Hindle <richie at entrian.com> writes:
>> Yeah, I know. I poked at it briefly, but couldn't figure out what was
>> goiing on. MSIE on the Mac doesn't work at all (no AJAT), and I don't
>> have regular access to a Windows box to try it on.
>
> I think it's your JavaScript '\r' processing that's broken.  Certainly the
> error ("unexpected EOF while parsing") is consistent with having a \r on the
> end of the expression.

Python doesn't care about the trailing newline.

> Won't this:
>
>     if (input.length == 1)
>
> always fail in the case where the user has typed a newline?  I'd ditch that
> code and do it at the server end:

The point of the '\r' processing is to make sure we don't send the
entire text area string to the server. That breaks things pretty
badly. My assumption is that if splitting on '\n' leaves us with one
thing, we may have gotten a string that used \r for newlines, so we
split on that. Hmm. If the results of the first split left us with
"'\r'expr", then the second split will send an empty string, which
would result in what we're seeing.

I'll investigate that.

     thanks,
     <mike