PHP = Perl Improved

Xah Lee xah at xahlee.org
Fri Dec 9 14:15:16 EST 2005

recently i got a project that involves the use of php. In 2 days, i
read almost the entirety of the php doc. Finding it a breeze because it
is roughly based on Perl, of which i have mastery.

i felt a sensation of neatness, as if php = Perl Improved, for a
dedicated job of server-side scripting. Everything is so-built-in, and
the integrated functions for web application programing such as
CGI/Database is so convenient. What a PRACTICALITY! It has gotten a
long way, even now with a independent interpreter and engine (Zend) for
embedded computation of any other mark-up lang. And, its array/hash is
kinda linguistically cleaner, by combining the two into one. (after
all, array indexes are unique, so they are denotationally and
mathematically list of keyed pairs (hashes) too) As for nested
structure, it does away with Perl's ${x}->{'whatnot'}[$x]->[$y{'z'}]
insanity. And I'm most impressed by its extremely well-written
documentation.

But as i know the lang more, my feeling changed, yet “Perl
Improved” is still apt, with a new interpretation.

see
http://tnx.nl/php

If Unix, Apache, Perl, MySQL etc shit can impact the world with
motherfucking evolutionary outrageous $free$ lies, why should we fault
Pretty Home Page?

 Xah
 xah at xahlee.orghttp://xahlee.org/