Help: how to run python applications as NT service?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Mon Dec 12 15:14:43 EST 2005

zxo102 wrote:
> Hi there,
>     I have a python application (many python scripts) and I start the
> application like this
>
> python myServer.py start
>
> in window. It is running in dos window. Now I would like to put it in
> background as NT service. I got a example code: SmallestService.py from
> chapter 18 of the book "Python Programming On Win32" by Mark Hammond
> etc. The code is as follows and runs well as an NT service.
>
> Since I don't have the book, anybody knows how to "insert" my "python
> myServer.py start" into the sample code as follows.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> ouyang
>
> #####################################################
> import win32serviceutil
> import win32service
> import win32event
>
> class SmallestPythonService(win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework):
>     _svc_name_ = "SmallestPythonService"
>     _svc_display_name_ = "The smallest possible Python Service"
>     def __init__(self, args):
>         win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework.__init__(self, args)
>         # Create an event which we will use to wait on.
>         # The "service stop" request will set this event.
>         self.hWaitStop = win32event.CreateEvent(None, 0, 0, None)
>
>     def SvcStop(self):
>         # Before we do anything, tell the SCM we are starting the stop
> process.
>         self.ReportServiceStatus(win32service.SERVICE_STOP_PENDING)
>         # And set my event.
>         win32event.SetEvent(self.hWaitStop)
>
>     def SvcDoRun(self):
>         # We do nothing other than wait to be stopped!
>         win32event.WaitForSingleObject(self.hWaitStop,
> win32event.INFINITE)
>
> if __name__=='__main__':
>     win32serviceutil.HandleCommandLine(SmallestPythonService)

Basically you insert your python program code inside the SvcDoRun
method of this service.  You will, of course, have to change it to
act like class method code instead of regular main program code.
You can then register it and start/stop it like any other service.

The other part you add is code about how often you want the service
to wake up and run the SvcDoRun method.  Normally you wouldn't
use win32event.INFINITE  but rather wait some number of milliseconds
before running a second time.  The example just waits for a stop
signal.

Here is a skeleton of a service that should get you started.  I
HIGHLY recommend spending the money to purchase the book
(Python Programming on WIN32).  There are more extensive examples
than the one you have that would help you a lot.

Hope this helps.
Larry Bates

import win32serviceutil
import win32service
import win32event
import win32evtlogutil

class Yourservice(win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework):
# Indent all code below 4 spaces
def SvcDoRun(self):
    import servicemanager
    #------------------------------------------------------
    # Make entry in the event log that this service started
    #------------------------------------------------------
    servicemanager.LogMsg(servicemanager.EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE,
                          servicemanager.PYS_SERVICE_STARTED,
                          (self._svc_name_, ''))

    #-------------------------------------------------------------
    # Set an amount of time to wait (in milliseconds) between runs
    #-------------------------------------------------------------
    self.timeout=60000 (60 seconds)
    while 1:
        #-------------------------------------------------------
        # Wait for service stop signal, if I timeout, loop again
        #-------------------------------------------------------
        rc=win32event.WaitForSingleObject(self.hWaitStop, self.timeout)
        #
        # Check to see if self.hWaitStop happened
        #
        if rc == win32event.WAIT_OBJECT_0:
            #
            # Stop signal encountered
            #
            break

        else:
            #
            # Put your code here
            #

	#
        # Only return from SvcDoRun when you wish to stop
        #
	return

    def SvcStop(self):
        # Before we do anything, tell SCM we are starting the stop process.
        self.ReportServiceStatus(win32service.SERVICE_STOP_PENDING)