Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 15 09:45:29 EST 2005

bonono at gmail.com wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>This would have the unfortunate side effect of only allowing changes to
>>Python that allowed users to do things which are currently impossible.
>>
>>Since Python is Turing-complete, this would effectively inhibit all
>>further changes to the language.
>
> I don't quote understand the above.

It says that Python is already adequately expressive to allow it to
solve all solvable problems: more briefly, "Python can already do
everything". Hence there is no need to change the language.

Of course I use this as a /reductio ad absurdum/ to try to show you the
falsehood of your position. Sadly I fear this will simply result in
another response which won't move the dialogue forwards.

>>Would you, say, remove "for" loops because they could be written as
>>"while" loops. Don't forget the word "obvious" that appears in that
>>catchphrase ...
>>

> If every "for" usage can be done with "while" and that "while" is the
> preferred way, why not ? As I said, the problem is that "obvious"
> really is subjective in many case. And if it really is obvious, it
> really is obvious and I doubt there would be that much disagreement. I

It seems to me you either don't understand the words "obvious" and
"preferably".

> am a left handed and any time I use something that is designed to be
> right-handed, I have the same feeling too, luckily there isn't that
> much thing in real life.

I believe I have also suggested that the phrases of the Zen aren't to be
taken too literally. You seem to distinguish between "obvious" meaning
"obvious to Steve but not necessarily to me" and "really obvious"
meaning "obvious to both Steve and me". So where does the subjectivity
creep in? And are you going to spend the rest of your life arguing
trivial semantics?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119