Why and how "there is only one way to do something"?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:39:18 EST 2005

Steve Holden wrote:

> Would you, say, remove "for" loops because they could be written as
> "while" loops. Don't forget the word "obvious" that appears in that
> catchphrase ...

Interestingly - and somewhat related to this - the other day I was
looking for a do..while or do..until loop in the Python language
reference, thinking that there must be a statement for it, since
semantically they're distinct from while loops. I had a use case that
could have been slightly simplified by such a construct. The fact that
I didn't find one seemed slightly strange at first, coming from a
C/Pascal background, although it did occur to me that I've used Python
for years now and not noticed this lack before.

--
Ben Sizer