Indentation/whitespace

James Tanis jtanis at pycoder.org
Fri Dec 23 18:08:21 EST 2005

On 23 Dec 2005 10:01:37 -0800, Joe <jkrahn at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> It just seems that
> Python developers think the whitespace thing is only an issue for
> newbies. I think that many experienced users don't learn to like it,
> but instead just learn to live with it.

I disagree, I don't think you can be an experienced python programmer
and not be comfortable with its syntax. On the other hand you *can* be
an experienced programmer, but that's not the same thing. I don't care
how much code you've written in Python, if your not comfortable with
the syntax then you clearly don't use it with enough consistency to
bring yourself to that point where you "own" it. There's nothing wrong
with that, for whatever reason, maybe Python isn't for you.. but
certainly don't blame it on something as small as significant
indention, because we've all been there and its just not that hard to
make the change. There are quite a few good high-level languages out
there these days. This may be out of place, but I'd suggest checking
out Ruby if you want something as powerful and "fun" to code in as
Python but with more Perl-like syntax. It doesn't quite have as much
of a diverse module selection as Python and Perl but that will change
with time. Open source gives us an unprecendented amount of choices,
try them all out.. I have, and I came up with Python because for me it
is the "best fit." That may not be true in your case, which is
perfectly fine.

--
James Tanis
jtanis at pycoder.org