Dectecting dir changes

Zem zem.mattress at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:02:01 EST 2005

Why not use SGI's FAM (File Alteration Monitor)? It works under
Linux...and I think I saw Solaris support somewhere.  Under Linux, the
FAM daemon doesn't use inefficient polling of the filesystem instead it
monitors file changes through the kernel.  Under Solaris, it'd probably
fall back to polling.

If you can use it, then you can use the nice python-fam module.  Very
simple to work with and generally works very well.  I wrote a python
app that monitored a directory for file creation and deletion and sent
emails based on certain events.

http://python-fam.sourceforge.net/

Good luck.