how can i change the default python?

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Tue Dec 13 13:22:22 EST 2005

Koray Bostancı wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When i type python in terminal it runs the python2.3 interpreter, but i
> want to use 2.4 and Python2.4 package is already installed.
>
> How can i change the default python in my system? I searched google for
> a little but couldn't find.
>
> Using Debian GNU/Linux.
>

> koray

"python" is usually merely a link on your "main" python distribution
(it's the same for many other things, gcc for example).

python (and all the python versions) are in /usr/bin for the deb'.

To rebind it, just remove the current link

$ rm /usr/bin/python

then create a new symbolic link to /usr/bin/python2.4

$ ln -s /usr/bin/python2.4 /usr/bin/python

(you may have to use *sudo* to perform these operations BTW)

Voila, you're done, calling python now starts the python2.4 interpreter.