Checking length of each argument - seems like I'm fighting Python

Sam Pointon free.condiments at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 19:53:28 EST 2005

It depends what you mean by 'scalar'. If you mean in the Perlish sense
(ie, numbers, strings and references), then that's really the only way
to do it in Python - there's no such thing as 'scalar context' or
anything - a list is an object just as much as a number is.

So, assuming you want a Things object to break if either a) all three
arguments aren't sequences of the same length, or b) all three
arguments aren't a number (or string, or whatever), this should work:

#Not tested.
class Things(object):
    def __init__(self, x, y, z):
        try:
            if not (len(x) == len(y) and len(y) == len(z)):
                raise ValueError('Things don't match up.')
        except TypeError:
            #one of x, y or z doesn't do __len__
            #check if they're all ints, then.
            if not (isinstance(x, int) and isinstance(y, int) and
                    isinstance(z, int)):
                raise ValuError('Things don't match up')
        #do stuff.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with having a separate Thing object
that can do validation for itself, and I think it's a pleasantly object
oriented solution

I'm also wondering why something like this could accept something other
than sequences if it depends on their length. If you just want to treat
non-sequences as lists with one value, then something like this is more
appropriate, and might lead to less redundancy in other places:

def listify(obj):
    try:
        return list(obj)
    except TypeError
        return [obj]

class Things(object):
    def __init__(self, *args):
        x, y, z = [listify(arg) for arg in args]