- E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Thu Dec 29 08:34:29 EST 2005

Anton Vredegoor wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>

>>I have a friend who works at Google. He has no backstabbing history at all. Stop
>>insulting my friends.
>
> Your friends work for people who would never hire me. My resume sucks,
> but I'm not a bad person or a mediocre programmer. They sold out.
>
>>For Software Engineer:
>>
>>"""
>>Requirements:
>>
>>    * BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent (PhD a plus).
>
> Right here.

This requirement is really funny.

I thought google is somehow different.

>>    * Several years of software development experience.
>>    * Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems.
>>    * Experience with Unix/Linux or Windows environments, C++ development,
>>distributed systems, machine learning, information retrieval, network
>>programming and/or developing large software systems a plus.
>>"""
>>
>>I don't see any "damaged soul" requirement.
>
> I do. Experience here is an eufemism for having worked for the man.

I think I understand your thought.

Although I have very much experience, I have not "worked for the man":

http://lazaridis.com/resumes/lazaridis.html

which would mean that Google would not hire me.

[No problem, it's their lost.]

[...]
>>Prove yourself right.
>
> Ok. That's a bit harder. I suppose we agree that if we have an
> intelligent program that is more intelligent than a human and have this
> program design an even more intelligent program than things start to
> accelerate pretty fast?

ok

> Now the combination of a programmer with a tool (program) that can be
> used to make a better tool. This gives a better human-machine
> combination, which then can be used to further improve the combination.

=> high evolutive system

http://lazaridis.com/core/system/evolution.html

http://lazaridis.com/core/eval/lisp.html

> why didn't the world get destroyed by all out atomic warfare?
> Couldn't it have happened?

Of course.

But we should focus on that it don't happen in future.

> If we create AI why would AI keep us around if we ourselves won't even
> hire people that do not comply to absurdly specific preconditions?
> Don't we let our poor people starve in the undeveloped countries or
> even in our own cities? If we want to prove we belong to the next world
> we should start now. Open work communities where everyone can start
> working and get paid. The same thing as open source code or usenet but
> now with money for everyone.

Very nice thoughts - but just thoughts.

You should act.

As a first step, you should have your thoughts collected on a website,
thus you can point to them.

And then comes the difficult thing:

Transforming thoughts to real-life actions.

I'll contact you via email, thus this thread remains 'clean'.

.

--
http://lazaridis.com