General question about Python design goals

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Dec 1 09:38:09 EST 2005

[Since part of my post seems to have gotten lost in this thread, I
figured I would repeat it]

In article <dmdrch$jms$1 at panix1.panix.com>, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
>In article <dmdlhj$87b$1 at online.de>,
>Christoph Zwerschke  <cito at online.de> wrote:
>>
>>Or, another example, the index() method has start and end parameters for
>>lists and strings. The count() method also has start and end parameters
>>for strings. But it has no such parameters for lists. Why?
>
>That's a fair cop.  Submit a patch and it'll probably get accepted.

This is one of those little things that happens in language evolution;
not everything gets done right the first time.  But Python is developed
by volunteers: if you want this fixed, the first step is to submit a bug
report on SF (or go ahead and submit a patch if you have the expertise).
(I'm quite comfortable channeling Guido and other developers in saying a
patch will get accepted.)

"Don't listen to schmucks on USENET when making legal decisions.  Hire
yourself a competent schmuck."  --USENET schmuck (aka Robert Kern)