Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

Fabio Zadrozny fabioz at esss.com.br
Mon Dec 5 07:03:46 EST 2005

John J. Lee wrote:

>Aaron Bingham <bingham at cenix-bioscience.com> writes:
>

>>seberino at spawar.navy.mil wrote:
>>

>[...ex-emacs user explains switch to Eclipse...]
>

>>The killer PyDev feature for me is pylint integration.  Being informed
>>immediately when you mistype a variable name is a big timesaver.  Also
>>

>I now find it difficult to mis-type variable names in Emacs, since I
>have F4 bound to dabbrev-expand.  I also do standard things like using
>query-replace when renaming.  Actually, something like dabbrev-expand
>is perhaps the one thing I would find indispensible switching to any
>other editor -- I wonder if Eclipse/PyDev has it?
>
>(dabbrev-expand searches backwards in the current buffer to find
>'words' that are completions of the word you're typing immediately
>before the cursor position (then back and forth in all other buffers
>if search in the current buffer failed...), until it finds a
>completion; then you can repeat the command to cycle through all other
>possible completions.)

Yes, Eclipse has it by default (not a pydev work): Alt+/

>>nice is the refactoring support (although this it is possible to
>>integrate BicycleRepairMan! with Emacs, I found it easier to use in
>>Eclipse).
>>

>[...]
>
>Refactoring and the general 'semantic slant' certainly seems the
>interesting bit about Eclipse (that and the fact that Emacs is a bit
>old and hairy, and Eclipse is growing a big user base like Emacs).
>
>Not entirely sure Lisp->Java is progress, though.

Well, actually, pydev does some things with python too (code-completion
for builtins and bicycle repair man integration), and it would be
extremely simple to add some scripting capabilities with jython too, so,
I don't really think you'd be tied to 'only java' -- altough its core
will always be.

>John

Cheers,

Fabio