Guido at Google

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Dec 24 05:40:28 EST 2005

russnelson at gmail.com wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>

>>Far answers to this and all other (as far as I can determine)
>>hypothetical questions please refer to the license.
>

> But note that no OSI certified open source license will grant the right
> to use a trademark.  You gain trademark rights by having control over
> the quality of the described quantity.  If you give up control (which
> the OSD requires), you cannot grant the right to use the trademark, or,
> if you do, then you will lose the ability to enforce the trademark.

If by "the OSD" you are referring to the open source definition at

   http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

there is nothing in there about trademarks referring to open source
technology. Python is released under an OSI-approved license, but the
Python Software Foundation owns and retains the rights to the Python
trademark.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119