why does php have a standard SQL module and Python doesn't !?

seb.haase at gmail.com seb.haase at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:11:29 EST 2005

This was my point though:  I found the *description* - but no wordon
WHICH implementation to get WHERE ?
Don't get me wrong - I like Python and I will stick to it for some time
to come ...
but WHY are the places to get those SQL implementations not better
marked:
Just try to google for "python sql"  and you get here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pysqldb/
(then this like to home page (http://pysqldb.sourceforge.net/)  is
COMPLETELY EMPTY !!!!)
the next number of hits seem to be completely random.

Even if you google for: python mysql
you get to http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python  where
the linked "home page" says:
** OBSOLETE Python Interface to MySQL **

Please try to understand what I'm saying here:
This is essentially a proof the there is no (one) good place to go for
SQL & Python.
Instead it looked really scary to me!
How could I have known that "MySQLdb" is the keyword to google for !?

It would be nice, if those projects would reference back to
"http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html" just to give some
assurance that one is not totally off ...

Thanks,
Sebastian